Monday, February 2, 2009

Spinning

Have you ever taken a spinning class? Calvin and I went to our first one today. WHOA! Great workout. It was a lot of fun. I'm trying to get back into biking shape for the summer.


The Scoop on Spinning

Spinning was created by world-class cyclist "Jonny G." Goldberg as a convenient and quick way to train for races. In 1989, he and John Baudhuin opened the first spinning center in Santa Monica, California and then developed a program to certify other spinning instructors. Curious to know about this spinning thing? The following info will help you decide if it's for you:

What is it? Spinning is an aerobic exercise that takes place on a specially designed stationary bicycle called (obviously enough) a spinning bike. As you pedal, motivating music plays and the instructor talks you through a visualization of an outdoor cycling workout: "You're going up a long hill now, you can't see the top yet.…" During the class you vary your pace -- sometimes pedaling as fast as you can, other times cranking up the tension and pedaling slowly from a standing position. This helps you to focus inwardly and work on your mind as well as your body.

Why we love it: Spinning burns serious calories (about 450 in 45 minutes) and offers an awesome aerobic workout that makes your heart pump fast. It also tones your quadriceps (front thigh muscles) and outer thigh muscles like nobody's business! Because you stay in one place with the same basic movement throughout, Spinning doesn't involve a lot of coordination; it's easier to concentrate on your form than in other types of aerobic classes. And although you follow the general instructions of the spinning teacher, you are in control when it comes to your pace. You can finish a spin class, regardless of your fitness level, simply by adjusting your pace or the tension knob on the bike.

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/diet-fitness/spinning-101.html

8 comments:

  1. I knew you'd love spinning!! It's so addicting. I go through serious withdrawal over Christmas break when they don't offer classes, but now I'm back into it. I've always wanted to certify as a spin instructor. YOU should do that Megan. You'd be great! Then you get paid to workout :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've totally been thinking about that. I never thought I would like exercise classes, but now that I've tried a few, I can't get enough of them. I love the yoga class and I tried a circuit weight training class last week that was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE SPINNING! I've been doing it since Oct. With about a month off due to Christmas traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you need to try a live step aerobics class if they have one. It's really fun, too. And, live Tae-bo is fun, but that's kind of going out of style. By the way, I know they have spinning certification in Salt Lake City. I think that might be the closest one to you. I was training to do that before leaving Utah, but then I was pregnant with Noah and we left only a few months after he was born. It wasn't enough time to get it all done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like these are the closest:

    http://www.spinning.com/events_list_view.asp?search=searchexact~facility_country~usa|and|zipcodeprox~facility_zip~82902~250~0|and|searchlike~e.opt1~Get%20Certified|and|searchexact~e.cert_id~75FA0F85782B4677BD58FC293DC41D8E


    And here's a site that will keep you on the healthy path. Whenever tempted just look at this: http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info on the spinning certification. And by the way, that website was disgusting!! Right up there with the food bags!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to take one spinning class for one of my health science classes and it was so fun! It really worked muscles that have never been used before because all I do is run. It felt good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.
    Fitness Spinning

    ReplyDelete