Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Homemade Wheat Bread

Making bread can be a daunting task for many, it certainly used to be for me. I would plan my whole day around the fact that I was making bread, and it was such an ordeal. The only way to get past that is to PRACTICE. Just do it, over and over and one day you will realize it's just not a big deal. You don't have to have a big fancy mixer either. I always just do my bread by hand. Traci recommends making sprouted wheat bread because of the importance of sprouting grains before use (which I will soon talk more about). I agree that sprouted wheat bread would be the best choice, however, this recipe is a good choice if you don't have sprouted wheat ready.

½ cup warm water
2 TB. Yeast
1 TB. Evaporated cane juice crystals (organic sugar) or honey
Mix and let sit for about 10 minutes

3 cups almond milk
¼ cup earth balance buttery spread or oil
1 TB sea salt
3 TB Evaporated cane juice crystals (organic sugar) or honey
1/3 cup flax egg
½ TB lemon juice
Add yeast mixture to this and mix all together (I like to do it in a blender)

Pour mixture into bread bowl and add 8-10 cups flour. Add flour until the dough is still soft, but not too sticky.
(I use hard WHITE wheat and mill it just before use.)

Knead for about 6-8 minutes. Turn into greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down dough and raise for another hour.

Form into 3 loaves and put in loaf pans. Raise for 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment