Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Almond Milk

I suggest using almond milk over soy and rice milks because it is so easy to make yourself and it is such a natural food, as you are just using raw almonds and water. Almonds are very high in calcium. You can buy almond milk in the grocery store and sometimes I will do this, but most often I just make it at home as I need it.

FOOD STORAGE: If you store almonds in a cool dry place, they will store up to a year. (Almonds can also be frozen.) The cheapest place I have been able to find raw almonds is at Sam's Club, but they are not hard to find for $3-$4/ lb. It only takes 1/2 cup of almonds to make about 1 quart of milk, so they go a long way. I believe that storing almonds would be the most effective and nutritious way to have "milk" in your food storage.

*To maximize the nutritional benefits of almonds soak them in water in the refrigerator for 8 hours before use.*

Almond Milk

½ cup almonds
3 - 3 1/2 cups water

Blend in blender until smooth. If you want you can strain this to make it smoother and add some maple syrup as a sweetener, but I usually just use as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment